Thursday 23 September 2010

It went well.

The trip to the Sanford-Burnham institute will take some time for me to digest but it was everything I could hope for. There were sceptical voices about my idea of using an enzyme we know is depleted in PLE as a therapy;  I think I was the main one of those voices! Luis Millan who is the world expert on this enzyme was very positive. He said that a Dutch company had been through early trials of the substance as a treatment for Inflammatory Bowel Disease. He thought they might be very interested on working on Protein Losing Enteropathy and is going to put me in touch.

He told me the story about how a patient with a very rare condition had contacted him, there was an international conference of the few people who new about it and within 6 years there was a therapy which a drug company were selling.

There were other explanations put forward for why the results might not signify anything particularly important but also ideas to test the data.

Hudson Freeze was so positive, friendly and welcoming. After we had talked for most of the afternoon we drove around San Diego in his Mazda Convertible talking about education of Children whose first language is not English (H's Masters interest). We drank Miso soup at a sushi bar in honour of A.

I miss my family.

Must go. Breakfast and then a drive to the Airport for Buffalo.

No comments:

Post a Comment